I laughed upon seeing my assignment for today.
'C' patients, runner/ help dressing.'
Haha. Runner?
Hmmm.. Ok la.
Most of the time, I was helping the dressing nurses with the wound inspection and dressings.
So much of the delay, we started doing dressings only at 10am.
Everything ended at 2pm... and that was when the three of us decided to go for break.
However, instead of heading towards the tea room, I was running towards the icu.
Someone just collapsed and they needed help in there.
I quickly gowned up and entered the room.
One of my senior staff nurse was holding the defibrillator, another with the resuscitation drugs, one assisting with the anesthetist, another two was doing something else, while my other colleague was doing cpr on the casualty.
She gave an eye contact to takeover her so I quickly jumped onto the patient's bed and continued with the cpr.
I felt that the bed was shaking too much, and I felt so hungry and thirsty but I continued compressing...
The look of my patient saddened me as he stared at me, and rolled his eyes... the dying look was there.
I thought he couldn't make it... but I continued compressing...
A minute later...
'Your cpr is fantastic! The waves are coming up!'
I was so, so surprised and got speechless... Can't believe that's coming from the fierce anesthetist...!
I thought I did fairly.
I continued a little more and a few minutes later, she instructed me to stop.
This time round, the blood pressure and pulse of the patient was coming up...
I felt so relieved... like a great sense of achievement, knowing that I just saved someone's life.
But well, I nearly teared somehow.
So much of crying badly for failing my bcls way back in school... and now, coming from a consultant's mouth, she said my cpr was fantastic..
I went for my break shortly... after which, I headed back to the icu to check out on the patient.
He was stable then.
But half an hour later, he collapsed again. And that was when they called off the resuscitation.
Haiz. How sad.
Another life's gone.
...