I had frequent goosebumps while working lastnight.
Especially in the Burns ICU, where I had to relief my senior staff nurse for a while to look after the patient.
So I talked to my patient who was still wide awake... however he was intubated. Thus, he replied to me by using hand gestures.
He was repeatedly showing 4 fingers, afterwhich was one. With his tongue sticking out.. trying to hint something.
Still, I couldn't get what he was trying to imply.
So, I took out a paper and a pen, asking him to write it down.
He wrote in malay... slowly, he wrote something.
'Ada h.....'
Right after he wrote the letter 'h' I quickly pulled back the paper.
Eeeeek!
He was trying to write, 'Ada hantu!!!'
Meaning, there's a ghost!!!
Ohmygod!
After that he pointed to his left.
Oh gosh, it sure sent shivers down my spine..
With me being the only one in the ICU and no one else. The place felt creepy. Way to eerie.
Nevertheless, I reassured him and told him to sleep.
However, I believe that he was seeing things. That, we can't deny.
I was about to say some prayers to him but by the time, I had to return to my station.
Oh my, what a night.
I hope he will be extubated soon and transfer back to high dependency or general ward.
I continued nursing my patients after that.
Jeez..
Anyway, yesterday has been quite an adventure for me, as what my senior mentioned.
Yes, I second to that.
I had to nurse a high dependency patient alone, with this big, bigger than a drawing block paper chart and do the necessary with the following treatments.
Those fluid resuscitation thingy.. continuous infusion of I/v Hartmann and the rest.
Rush hour began at 10pm, I had to quickly do the changes, call the doctor, put up I/v Hartmann, chart down hourly parameters, gave supplemental drinks to my patients, giving medicine, I/v Albumin, reassuring them, fixing the leads and other stuffs.. all to be completed in that hour.
It was a little confusing but I managed to prioritise things and clear everything smoothly.
By 11pm, everything was settled and it was then, I could talked to the bf which only lasted for about 3 mins. Sheeesh.
Well, it has been a hiatus for me for the past 2 nights. I'm glad I'm still here surviving. Haha.
One more night to go. Hopefully, it won't be so bad.
Ok then.
Gotta go..!